iOS Aggie Dish app
|Affiliation||Google, UC Davis alum|
|Project title||iOS Aggie Dish app|
|Background||The client works at Google, but the project is unrelated to Google.|
|Description||Some time ago, UC Davis created and published a mobile application, named Aggie Dish, that
informed users (mostly students) about the menus at various on-campus eateries (usually
dining commons). The app allowed users to plan where to eat dinner, check whether their local
DC’s menu was compatible with their dietary restrictions, decide whether Saturday brunch was
worth waking up early or if late-night was worth spending a swipe, etc. However, the app has
since been deprecated, is no longer maintained, and cannot be installed on modern devices.
The replacement is a fairly less functional website that displays basic menus (i.e., names of
dishes) with very little supplemental information (e.g., ingredients, allergens).
This project involves writing an iOS app from the ground up that provides a clean, intuitive user
experience and that supports basic menu viewing functionality as well as several other possible
● Ability to upvote a dish
● Ability to mark a dish as favorite and be notified when it’s served again.
● Ability to set up a dietary profile that can then be used to exclude or highlight
certain dishes that are compatible or incompatible, respectively, with the profile.
● Ability to see on-campus eateries in close proximity.
● Ability to search on-campus eateries and their menus.
● Ability to filter by type of dish.
● And anything else students think would be useful!
Students would also build a backend from the ground up that supports the chosen feature set.
Together, the students and I will decide
● The scope. That is, we will decide the feature set at the beginning of the first quarter and
modify it throughout the class as needed.
● Whether to source real data from an on-campus API or to source mock data for demo
● Whether to write a cross-platform application (e.g., with Flutter).
● The technologies used to write the backend.
Students should feel free to email me if they have any questions about the project!
|Skill set desirable||iOS app development preferred but not strictly required. Interest to learn new things and build
|Client time availability||30-60 min weekly or more|
|IP requirement||Client wishes to keep IP of the project|